[AMPS] Two stupid questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Two stupid questions
From: jstrohm@texas.net (Jim Strohm)
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 00:51:28 -0600
No, not really stupid questions.

Just two questions I haven't asked before.

Let's say I had a whole bunch of 0.1 uF disk capacitors, all the same size
and all rated at 5 kV.  Is there any reason I couldn't make a 5 kV
capacitor bank for an HV supply filter by putting them all in parallel?
Naturally, my PCB would need to be designed for the voltage, and made from
a material that would withstand said voltage.  Naturally, I would have an
adequate total capacitance for the application, say 20 uF plus.

Let's say I wanted to duplicate Rich's nichrome wire transient suppressors,
but I didn't have any large-gauge nichrome wire.  But I did have an old
spool of #26 nichrome.  Is there any reason I couldn't twist a large number
of strands tightly together to make a conductor of the appropriate size?
The ends of the finished conductor would be silver-soldered together, but
not the body of the wire, so it would maintain its conductivity as nichrome.

Jim N6OTQ