[AMPS] Another Stupid Question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Another Stupid Question
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 04:54:02 -0800

>Isn't there also the issue of the current rating of the blocking cap?
>At higher frequencies, the tubes stray C can carry quite a bit RF
>circulating current, thus the tank will draw an equivalent amount
>of circulating current thru the blocking capacitor (in opposite
>phase to the circulating current in the tube C of course). Thus
>I would expect the blocking cap may need to carry significantly
>more RF current than would be implied by the plate impedance
>of the tube if the stray C makes up a significant portion of the
>tune C in the PI network (as in a 6 meter amp for instance).

// On the 10m band, the current through the DC blocking C is nothing to
sneeze at with a triode.    For a largish tetrode, such as an 8170.  Not
only is there the current from the tank through the anode's capacitance
(19 - 21pF) to the adjacent grounded screen-grid, there's the current
through the capacitive voltage-divider in the Breune neutralizing bridge
(6 - 8 pF).   Thus, using an 8kV anode supply, the current through the DC
blocking capacitor totals c. 25A-rms at 28MHz -- the heating equivalent
of c. 100A at 60Hz.

cheers, Mike