[AMPS] HB Chassis

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] HB Chassis
From: k7fm@teleport.com (Colin Lamb)
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 10:51:57 -0800
Square holes can be cut with a good drill press and a milling table.
this table can be cranked in both directions while you are using a
milling bit.

These tables are available from the tool companies like Harbor Freight.
  They are made overseas and do not have the precision to make watch
parts, but they beat a file and saber saw.

The milling process is hard on the drill press, because they are not
designed for a side load.  But, if you do not extend the spindle down
(leverage magnifies the load) and make no more than a few amplifiers a
month, the drill press should be able to stand it.

It is easier to find a friend who owns a machine shop that can do the
whole thing for you on an automated machine while both of you sit there
and sip coffee.

As an aside, I recently had a bet with a fellow ham about who could
receive the first shortwave broadcast stations on a crystal set.  I
constructed one using a Johnson Matchbox backwards into a diode and old
1915 earphones.  Logged 4 stations - 3 on the 49 meter sw band and one
on 3925.  Sensitivity is about 2,000 uv and selectivity is about 200-250
khz.  The relevance of this information is that I am still waiting to
hear my first ham station on the crystal set.  That should be on 3870
when the converted broadcast transmitters get on am in the early
evening.  I am planning on breaking in and telling them I am copying
them on a Johnson Matchbox.

73,  Colin  K7FM