[AMPS] amplifier help

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] amplifier help
From: Ian White <g3sek@ifwtech.com> (Ian White)
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:23:43 +0000
Forwarded from Steve, G8GSQ:

 >Hi Ron,
 >-
 >:The Amp is from a Ranger 2990? ...the 100 watt unit....so
 >:much for quality but it should be useable.
 >-
 >Not without a bit of work... Ranger stuff is notorious
 >for poor quality and performance.  They started out
 >making really broad band 12/11/10 meter multi mode
 >radios and are now pushing similar products for
 >hams like a current six meter version.
 >I don't really think much of their cosmetics (radio
 >ergonomics..?) but aside from that, every one I've
 >played with at a friends house or car has had a
 >stinky receiver (serious front end problems) .
 >-
 >: I would think that the amp would be considered HF
 >: but used at or near 30 Mhz.
 >: The "pills" (why do they call them that) run on 12 to
 >: 15 volts and the drive is applied using a 50 ohm line.
 >-
 >Pills are the stupid name used by the CB crowd for RF
 >transistors.
When I worked making rf power transistors, 'pill' was used to describe the
piece of BeO when it wasn't attached to the mounting flange.

Skipp's comments were pretty comprehensive. The only thing I'd add is that
the RC feedback across the devices is sometimes there to kill lf oscillation
in the 10kHz-1MHz region. If any of those components has failed, there might
be instability.

Steve