[AMPS] amplifier help

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] amplifier help
From: W6NQ <w6nq@rfparts.com> (W6NQ)
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 18:23:47 -0800
Hi Ron:
Follows are a few general suggestions to follow along after
the excellent comments of others.

>From my prospective, I would try:

1.)  Optimum Ic for reasonable IMD is 100 ma. or so per device.
Amp stability seems a bit easier to obtain at lower
quiescent currents.
2.) Unless an active regulator is used,
I find a 6A diode to ground with 20 Ohms 10W
switched by input relay to +12 as a suitable voltage regulator.
Use Caps & RFC's to get on & off the RF relay.
Use voltage divider from diode to set Vbe to about 0.62 at base
with no drive.  A 1.0 Ohm to common junction and somewhere
around 4.7 Ohm to gnd will get you into the ballpark.
3.) Use a couple "Z" beads or a VK200 choke to connect bias
voltage to center of input transformer's back plate.   Use 3-4
turns on input & output transformers..  No capacitor at CT of
input transformer, let it float RF wise.  Bypass here sometimes
makes a quasi stable circuit oscillate.  I like 10 Ohm 1/2W base
to ground R's.  A Base to Base capacitor helps stability.
2.)  Your oscillations are most likely from ground loop.
Heatsink is most useful as common grounding point of small circuit
boards, which often have ground loops by themselves.
Attach Connectors to common grounding with Lo Z connections.
Use a series cap of .001 at  RF input, 0.01 in series with
output connector.
3.)  Normally, this 10m amp will have only ~ -20 db rolloff of
2nd & 3rd harmonics.  20m down sees virtually no harmonic
reduction without the  band switched lowpass network.
Obviously, lowering of drive will help IMD immensely.
4.)  It is easiest to use broadband network on input side
with no tuning.  As mentioned, a pad at the input is a good
idea to swamp out variations seen by both driver & amp.
Base-Base R is a good way, also.  You will have to add a gain
compensation network (at input side of RF Amp) due to lower
drive requirements on 80-40m.
5.)  Negative Feedback should consist of a 2W metal oxide res.
(33-47 Ohms) in series with a 0.1 disk.
6.  Let's see what happens--
I have a few more tricks to try for taming quasi stable designs.

I seem to have deleted earlier communications.
How much drive do you have available?  Is it for a QRP rig?

..........Merit  W6NQ