[AMPS] rc feedback and "pills"

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] rc feedback and "pills"
From: nospam4me@juno.com (skipp isaham)
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 18:18:56 -0800
-
Thanks Steve,  I didn't mention it at the time,
one can find feedback to reduce the entire stage
gain at lower frequencies and across the actual
device(s).  Sometimes both in the same circuit.
-
One purpose is to level the stage gain, the other
to prevent  "or cure" problems.
-
Other than your pill information below, the only
mention of pills as rf transistors  that I have seen
has been by CB'er amp hacks "because they
look like pills."  They weren't using "pill" because
they were on the manufacturing side of the device.
But thanks, great trivia to know...
-
Many of the lower cost broadband amplifiers
I've seen, leave out the rc network. Some even
rely on cheap disc caps at the device leads.
Bad news for the home team...
-
cheers
skipp
-
 >: The "pills" (why do they call them that) run on 12 to
 >: 15 volts and the drive is applied using a 50 ohm line.
 >-
 >Pills are the stupid name used by the CB crowd for
> RF transistors.
-
: When I worked making rf power transistors, 'pill' was
: used to describe the piece of BeO when it wasn't
: attached to the mounting flange.

: Skipp's comments were pretty comprehensive. The
: only thing I'd add is that the RC feedback across the
: devices is sometimes there to kill lf oscillation in the
: 10kHz-1MHz region. If any of those components has
: failed, there might be instability.
: Steve

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.