[AMPS] Shunt regulated high voltage psu

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Shunt regulated high voltage psu
From: Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.com (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 09:43:47 +0000
Sandeep wrote:

>Hi
>I need a 350 volts regulated power supply for a 4cx250 Linear Amp. I have
>650 volt unregulated available. The original circuit used a regulator with
>valves. I want to use solid state devices. I have following available :
>IRF 530
>IRF 540
>IRF 830
>IRF 840 (All MOSFETS) and
>BU 207
>
>would someone please help me with a circuit diagram or may be point me in
>right direction? (there is nothing in ARRL hand book on high voltage
>regulators)

There are several downloadable articles at:
http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek/boards/tetrode/tetrode-3.htm

MOSFETs are better than bipolars  for this application, because they
don't suffer from second breakdown under combinations of high voltage
and high current. A single IRF840 will do the job, although the
unregulated 650V input is higher than its breakdown voltage - you should
reduce the input voltage if you can.

                            http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek