[AMPS] Iron regulated screen supply?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Iron regulated screen supply?
From: bjk@ihug.co.nz (Barry Kirkwood)
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 20:32:03 -0000
Let us get the arithmetic right:
Assuming we are talking, say, 3kV @ 1A peak power for the anode, then the
screen load is trivial by comparison.
If building from iron collected from surplus sources, then making a 400V or
whatever supply and tapping off for the screen, and then seriesing this with
2.6kV to make up 3kV is no big deal.
The resting anode current gives a bleed and helps stabilise standing volts.
Sure, this is dearer than making a separate lighter screen supply and then
electronically stabilising it if parts are bought new, but may be very cheap
if parts are acquired surplus.
In effect the screen contribution becomes part of the anode supply, gratis.
Just seems to me to be crude, simple, and likely highly effective.
I would certainly sense the screen current and incorporate protective
circuitry, regardless of where tha screen volts came from.
73

end
Barry Kirkwood PhD ZL1DD
Signal Hill Homestay