[AMPS] TL-922A questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] TL-922A questions
From: kkanakas@cisco.com (krishna)
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 12:58:32 -0500
Hi all,

 Sorry, i am slightly off topic from an indepth amp tech discussion.

 Looks like the AL-811H is on backorder in some stores.
 I checked with texas towers and the wait time is about
 4-6 weeks.

 Now i have some questions on an offer i have.

 A kenwood TL-922A in fair condition with some
 scratches on the sides. Needs replacement tubes , but
 puts out around 800w.

 The idea of the fat 3-500Z tubes are a luring factor over the 811's. :)

 I have some questions.
1) I understand that the 922 needs the 240V supply to
  run at peak. But can i still use it at the sub KW level on
  the 110V supply.

2) Someday, if i get to replace those expensive tubes, can
  i keep the drive from the exciter quite low, so that the
  amp will not put over 1KW. Any harm in doing that.?

3) What would one pay for this amp.? I understand that
  it is subjective, but i am shopping for my first amp and
 i have no basis to judge. I did a quick search on the net
 and have seen prices all the way from $800/obo to $1200.

Folks might ask why i want an overkill solution?
  Well, if i ever get to have the shack rewired for 240V, then i
already have the legal limit amp. :)

thanks to you all for the time & advice.

73's
krish
w4/vu2vku