[AMPS] TL-922A questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] TL-922A questions
From: 2@mail.vcnet.com (rich)
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 12:37:50 -0800

>Hi all,
>
> Sorry, i am slightly off topic from an indepth amp tech discussion.
>
> Looks like the AL-811H is on backorder in some stores.
> I checked with texas towers and the wait time is about
> 4-6 weeks.
>
> Now i have some questions on an offer i have.
>
> A kenwood TL-922A in fair condition with some
> scratches on the sides. Needs replacement tubes , but
> puts out around 800w.
>
> The idea of the fat 3-500Z tubes are a luring factor over the 811's. :)

3-500Zs have >2 x the voltage and emissive capability of the 811A.  They
also have less grid-lead-L, so they tend to be less squirrely in g-g
service.

> I have some questions.
>1) I understand that the 922 needs the 240V supply to
>  run at peak. But can i still use it at the sub KW level on
>  the 110V supply.

A 20A, 120V mains circuit works ok and the power difference is small on
SSB.

>2) Someday, if i get to replace those expensive tubes, can
>  i keep the drive from the exciter quite low, so that the
>  amp will not put over 1KW. Any harm in doing that.?

The tank is designed to run with 600 - 800 mA peaks.

>3) What would one pay for this amp.? I understand that
>  it is subjective, but i am shopping for my first amp and
> i have no basis to judge. I did a quick search on the net
> and have seen prices all the way from $800/obo to $1200.

In good condition with the needed mods, they are worth >$1200.  These
mods are covered in an article about the 922 on my Web site.

>Folks might ask why i want an overkill solution?
>  Well, if i ever get to have the shack rewired for 240V, then i
>already have the legal limit amp. :)

But no one at the RX end would see the difference.
>thanks to you all for the time & advice.

cheers, Krish

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end