[AMPS] refurbish and upgrade

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] refurbish and upgrade
From: 2@mail.vcnet.com (Richard)
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 05:38:05 -0800

>re: SB -220 "restoration"
>-
>> From: Rich... <2@mail.vcnet.com>
>Ä  A "complete restoration" means removing:
>-
>A poor initial choice of words, maybe repair as needed,

?  As needed is not in the restoration-purest's vocabulary.

>refurbish and upgrade with "current amplifier technology,"
>an often hotly debated topic on amps.
>-
?  The evidence is not easy to toss off (not in the British sense).

>> 1.  the step-start mod... [snip]

>I do like a step start and have them in many amplifiers, I've
>not experienced power switch failures in SB-220's and
>I have many and have worked on many. I was not
>aware that it was a significant problem for the switch.

?  If the SB-220 is powered from a stiff 240V source, it's hard on the
contacts -- but not as hard as if a TL-922 is powered from a stiff
source.

>I like the step start to ease the filter bank back to normal
>operating potentials.
>-
?  The electrolytics' inrush current is not a problem.  The E-I core
transformer automatically limits secondary current.

>> 2.  lower VHF -Q suppressors... [snip]

>I'm using a modified version of your basic design. Never
>had an amplifier "go poof" with your or my suppressors
>on board.
>-
?  I have.  Not enough L-supp will do it.  Glitch protection is not a bad
idea.  In hard cases, an exorcism may be unavoidable.

>3.  the high speed switching mod... [snip]
>I most often use a different approach to keep the
>original relays in operation and not hot switch.
>Various options are possible...

?  The original relay is too noisy for me.  How do you keep it from
hotswitching with a FT-1000D?
>-
>4.  the glitch protection... [snip]
>Should be added to any stock amplifier and left in
>place. I would not remove any of said properly done.
>I have found well intended mods which were so
>poorly done, I've had to replace them, but glitch and
>failure protection are a must have.

?  200A-peak diodes on the meters save money in the long run.

laer, Skipp

>GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
>http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
>
>--