Fw: Re: [AMPS] SB-220 Meter Movements

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: Re: [AMPS] SB-220 Meter Movements
From: 2@mail.vcnet.com (Richard)
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 05:38:02 -0800

>Hi Rich,
>-
>Up until your post, I'd never thought about a justified
>reason to install a standby switch on an amplifier
>like the SB-220.  There is a valid reason after all.
>-
>Every used SB-220 I've refurbished had the switch
>mounted because the owner thought the tubes
>needed a few minutes of warm up.
>-
?  3-500Zs take abour 1/2 second to reach full suds.

>I will admit that I use the standby capacity while
>checking things out before regular operation. I
>always verify the drive levels and antenna system
>while the amplifier idles. Makes me feel better...
>old habits die hard.
>-
?  The on/off switch allows one to do such,

>When I switch my amplifier off after modest use,
>I can hear the tubes "crinkle."
>-
?  This is pretty typical as the parts cool.  However, If one has just
completed a traditional, 10-minute Zzzzzzz-ville monologue on
AM/lock-to-talk, afterward the tubes should be allowed cool down for
15-seconds or so before switching the amp. off.  The TL-922 does this
automatically.

Cheerz, Skipp
>-
>-snip-
>>Normally I would just live with the unsightly holes many hams have
>>butchered into SB-220's to add an unneeded relay bypass switch...
>-
>Adding a switch to break the PTT path was a common trick for contesters.
>It was needed to allow an instant band change to work a multiplier
>barefoot
>then return to the run band at full power.
>-
>My guess is more were modified then not and keeping the switch retains
>the flavor of the amp's contest history.
>-
>Rich KL7RA

>GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
>http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.