[Amps] amp vs antenna

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] amp vs antenna
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 12:20:30 -0500
At 08:03 AM 3/8/02 -0800, Vic Rosenthal wrote:
>But if you increase antenna gain you are increasing signal strength just
because
>you are narrowing the beamwidth (in the horizontal or vertical plane, or
both).
>Since the desired signal comes from one direction and noise is more or less
>evenly distributed, a directive antenna does improve the signal/noise ratio.

Only if the noise that sets the noise floor in your area is truly coming
from all azimuths and elevations.  Point that more-directive antenna into a
cell of thunderstorms on the way to Europe, for example, and see what happens.

I'm not saying there is no improvement in S/N ratio, but that it's nowhere
near the 3 dB of gain you achieve on transmit.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at
www.pvrc.org