[Amps] 10 Meters

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 10 Meters
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:31:48 -0800
Since we're venting...

-Most all modern rigs, at least all the "high end" ones, have a MONITOR
function that allows you to hear what you sound like, on the air.  It's not
just tapped into the audio modulation channel, in most decent rigs the MONI
is a sampling of the RF envelope post modulation, and demodulated by product
detection.  It works.

-Besides using that obvious feature, I have a golden rule: When using a
1500W (or more likely 2500W full-scale) Wattmeter in line, the meter
indication between words should fall to "zero."  Any indication whatever is
an absolute sign of having nearly zero signal-to-noise ratio on the
transmitted signal, and what will sound like maybe 3dB of carrier
suppression.

-And why, oh why, do DX stations who can barely speak English use phonetics
they cannot pronounce?  It's really funny.  The French stations who use
"Florida," a word that is nearly impossible to pronounce for them, instead
of "France," which ought to be an easy one.

-And on and on it goes...

WB2WIK/6

"Each success only buys an admission ticket to a more difficult problem." --
Henry Kissinger