[Amps] 10 Meters

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 10 Meters
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Mike)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 04:39:47 -0800
Hi Steve,

The problem with the monitor circuit is that even when its done at
RF, its usually done in one of the low level IF stage. This lets you
hear what the speech processing sounds like, but doesn't help if
your problem is downstream (like in the PA). In the case of the
TS-950SDX I was using a few weekends ago, the monitor gave
a false alarm as the distortion was due to external RF getting into
the monitor circuit. The actual RF output was clean as evidenced
by the received signal on an external receiver (TS-940S).

You rule about using a zero signal background reading is a
good one, although those with loud blowers might disagree.
On that same TS-950 mentioned above, I had a hew hundred
watts of 60 Hz hum initially. This was tracked down to the
single operator 2 radio (SO2R) switch box. The box switches
both the mic and shield connections from each rig in order to
minimize hum pickup. Unfortunately, the input jacks were
very close together and I had used 1/8" phone plugs with
metal sleeves. A 1" long piece of electrical tape placed over the
metal sleeve of the offending phone plugs eliminated the hum completely.

73 de Mike, W4EF.............