[Amps] Need help - amp project

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Need help - amp project
From: 2@mail.vcnet.com (Richard)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:09:57 -0800
>Hello,
>
>    I hope that some of the more experienced can give me some advice.  I
>am working on conversion of an older homebrew 4cx1500b to a gu84b.
>
>The best description of the problem is that the higher the frequency,
>the less the output. 160, 80, and 40M do pretty well.  On 20 and above
>loss of power output is
>very high.  Another interesting occurrence:   With about 20 watts drive
>on 20M, output is about 30 watts.
>2 - 4 seconds, the tube begins to amplify and power out
>goes to 400 or so (during this, input swr changes a lot - 1.3 to 2.5 to 1).
>
>  I have a mov tied to the grid input pin and screen input pin at the
>socket. Is there too much capactiance from these devices?

Yes and there is no reason to have it there.

>The tube is
>grid fed via a .16uh inductor  tied
>to a 50 ohm 100 watt resistor to ground.

A better way to feed DC bias to a grid is connect the DC to the cold end
of the grid R, and double-bypass (perhaps 1000pF in // with 0.02uF) it to
ground.  The resistor should be close to the grid - unless you are
building a VHF-oscillator.

>Plate voltage under load  2000
>grid voltage under load    -60
>screen voltage under load    325 +
>cathode tied to ground
>tank circuit tuned to 2600 ohms
>drive  30 watts
>
>also, I have too much tune capacitance on 20M.....  I cant set vacuum
>variable in the tank circuit low enough...
>
>ideas please.

Reduce 20m tank L.

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end