[Amps] CB amps on e-Bay

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] CB amps on e-Bay
From: Wlfuqu00@uky.edu (wlfuqu00@uky.edu)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:47:15 -0400
         We ham operators do our best to reform illegal operators and make
them into good hams. We teach classes, provide the exam sessions and help
them when ever possible to bring them out of the gutter into the fraternity
of hams.
         There are unfortunately a small number of hams that came from the
ranks of illegal radio operators that can't resist the temptation to use
their ham gear out of the ham bands. This is the most despicable lot in my
opinion. I once bought a FT707 from a Tech. that claimed it was in good
condition. I first thought he had gotten it in expectation of upgrading,
only to find out that several of the 10 meter band crystals were not 10
meters. Not only did it not work 11 and between 11 and 10 meters it had a
number of "improvements". One was increased power out put. This was done by
disabling the ALC and re-calibrating the  output level meter to indicate a
higher output level. It covered (splattered)  over a MHz. Also, there were
a number of modifications that did not make any sense and bad solder
joints. It took me quite some time to fix it up so that I could give it to
a beginning young ham that need a starter rig.
         I think the only good thing that reducing the code speed has done
is make it possible for more to illegal operators to be reformed into good
hams.

73
Bill wa4lav  (never been a CBer)