[Amps] Re: "Need hints"

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Re: "Need hints"
From: n2bc@stny.rr.com (Bill Coleman)
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 07:01:07 -0400
Re: my earlier whining - "mushy" loading on 5CX1500 amp project.

Thanks for all the hints.  I had used some parts from a second RF deck =
without checking them.... found a bad cap in the plate blocking stack.  =
(thank you Colin Lamb)

But that's not the bug...

Steve Thompson recommended measuring the RL by looking 'backwards' with =
an analyzer - I had done this when I was adjusting the taps on my =
original tank coils. I had measured the vacuum variables - more than =
once -  as I adjusted the taps on the original tank coils.  All was =
right in the world,    then....

However,  all is no longer right.  The loading cap appears to be open.  =
It's a 1000pf Jennings ceramic & measures 65pF - everywhere.  I can tell =
the external mechanics are OK as the "nose piece" loosens up when I =
reach the end of travel - .=20

I cannot do any further diagnosis with the deck mounted in the rack.  =
I've heard of vacuum variables arcing, shorting, but open?   Might be a =
mechanical problem with the chassis collar...  =20

More later.
Bill Coleman    N2BC
http://home.stny.rr.com/n2bc

multipart/alternative