[Amps] CTI follow up - miscellaneous ramblings

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] CTI follow up - miscellaneous ramblings
From: 2@mail.vcnet.com (Richard)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 05:39:01 -0700
>Richard said:
>
>"*  No tuned input with g-g is not hardly engineering practice".

*  Pse strike the "not".

>Well, perhaps.  Let me throw some round numbers out - just for discussion.
>I do not claim they are researched numbers, nor that the conclusions based
>upon these numbers are correct.  But, I do hope to raise some questions at
>generalities spread.  I recall the third order distortion level of the
>4CX250 tube is about -24 db.

*  The way Hamdom measures distortion, that's 6db better, or 30db down.
I have built 4cx250 amps that produced under 32db down total distortion.
The hat-trick is to run minimal screen-current, zero grid-current and
maximal anode potential.   The signal can additionally be cleaned up by
using euphemisms for 'dirty' words.

>That is not adequate.

* 32 db down total imd is c. average for Ham transceivers.

>However, driving the
>cathode has inherent degeneration and may improve the third order
>distortion level by perhaps as much as -6 db.

*  agreed

>That would equal -30 db.
>And, while I try to build amplifiers cleaner than that, that is still
>acceptable and cleaner than most transceivers.  There is no question that
>tuned circuits in the cathode will improve the third order distortion
>products by acting as a flywheel.  Maybe there is a 3 db improvement or
>maybe a 5 db improvement.

?  depends on the Chebyshev filter in the radio, the freq., and the
length of input coax.

> Without the tuned cathode, the load on the
>transceiver will vary substantially.  But, still, the output signal may be
>acceptable.  I do not know for sure and have not tried it with all
>transceivers.  But, I am not prepared to say that it necessarily will sound
>rotten.

*  On the Ham bands, according to one paragraph of Part 97, imd products
must be confined to the authorized band segment in use.  For example 7.15
- 7.3MHz.  I know of no case where anyone has been cited for rotten
splatter in the last 4 decades.  P. J. O'Rourke said giving a gov't
beaucrat authority is like giving a teenage boy your car-keys and a
bottle of whisky.

>My Alpha 76PA uses cathode drive with no tuned input.  It is not a poorly
>designed amplifier

*  The 76 uses:
-1w carbon-comp resistors for equalizing the potential on the
electrolytic caps:  Such resistors change value somewhat randomly.
-Medium-Q vhf parasitic suppressors:  Although a 76 or a 78 is not as
unstable as a TL-922 or a SB-220, they occasionally osc at vhf.  An
autopsy photo of a gold-sputtered 8874 from an Alpha appeared in
"Parasitics Revisited"/Sept.-Oct., 1990 *QST*.
- For the QSK-option, it does not use Jennings' speedup circuit for the
RJ-1A relay.

*    how many dog biscuits down @5kHz with voice modulation?

>It does have some resistive loading which no doubt does help a bit.

*  Which would help more if there was a fast-switch 1A steering diode in
series with it to apply the R-loading on the neg. half of the drive and
disconnect on the pos. half.
-   note - if you know how to solder, you are willing to try this mod.
make the measurements, and publish the results here, I will send you a
freebee diode in the interest of R and D.

>I did not look at the circuitry - just the mechanical assembly.
>
>I did build an amplifier once with cathode drive, no tuned input, and no
>grid meter.  It ran 4 x 6AG7 tubes at a couple of hundred watts input.  The
>problem, however, was that the 6AG7 was black and I could not see the
>plates.  They lasted for over a year, when the amplifier was finally
>retired.

*  6AG7-mavens built amps with the tubes base-up and the tops submersed
in a pan of water.   For contesting, add ice cubes.

> The CTI amplifier looks much better than my 4 x 6AG7 amp.
>
>At least you guys are reading these posts.

cheerz, Colin

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end