[Amps] Defibrulator Caps as Filter Caps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Defibrulator Caps as Filter Caps
From: wc6w@juno.com (Radio WC6W)
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 10:03:17 -0700
On Sun, 30 Jun 2002 10:27:09 +1000 "David Smith" <vk3hz@wia.org.au>
writes:
> Turns out that this capacitor is from an HP defibrulator.
>
> There seems to be a question about whether a defib cap can handle
> continuous
> PSU filter duty.  It may need to be derated.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Regards,
> David Smith
> VK3HZ

Hi David,
   Maxwell manufactures both pulse discharge and continuous rated filter
capacitors.  The type is usually marked on the label unless the part was
made special for a customer.

   Hewlett Packard may have well spec'ed a continuous rated capacitor to
provide some extra margin against failures (and lawsuits!) in that
medical application.

   Maxwell pulse rated caps can be safely operated at 2/3 of their marked
voltage in filter applications -- their life expectancy equals a
continuous rated cap at that point.

73,
  Marv  WC6W