[Amps] 3-500Z parasitic wows

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 3-500Z parasitic wows
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 06:32:01 -0700
>2 Wrote:
>

>>>or
>>>arcing due to a mismatched load, or a Rocky Point arc?
>>
>>**  RCA's Rocky Point Investigation was somewhat specious  since there is
>>no such thing as disappearing gas and vanishing "barnacles".
>
>Well, so much for RCA then! And so much for the G-E Research Labs,

G. W. Flyer of GE (1935), H. F Dittrich of Phillips (1958), and ARRL's F.
E. Handy (1926) arrived at a different conclusion than RCA's Rocky Point
investigation.   [Dittrich, H. F.; *Tubes for R. F. Heating*; N.V.
Phillips Gloeilaampenfabrieeken--Eindhoven, the Netherlands.  Section
5.8, ''Parasitic Suppression Circuits'' begins on page 96.]

>and all the R&D work that went into their book on 'Vacuum Arcs'; and
>Gossling's work with the UK General Electric Company (no relation) and
>the BBC; and all the other workers who have found ample evidence for
>arcs... including Eimac.

Eimac reference, please.

>Selectively ignoring evidence will not make it go away.

The problem with Rocky Point Effect is that there is apparently rarely
evidence to support it during kaput tube/valve autopsies.  I have yet to
autopsy a tube with an anode arc-mark and that includes tubes that are
gassy due to a leaky seal.  Another problem is that it seems unlikely
that (since sound travels in air) an amplifier could produce a stentorian
bang from an arc inside the vacuum.  I have not yet found an amplifier
that produced a loud bang that did not have a damaged VHF parasitic
suppressor resistor.   This tells me that there is a quite likely a VHF
connection with loud bangs.
-    My first trip with a dipmeter through my less-than-stable SB-220 was
quite enlightening.  That is, not all of the resonant circuits are shown
on the diagram.  Murphy was right -- things are usually more complicated
than they look.
-  Have you ever seen autopsy evidence to support Rocky Point Effect?

cheerz,  Ian

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end