[Amps] re: EBS at soft or quiet moments

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] re: EBS at soft or quiet moments
From: g8gsq at qsl.net (Steve Thompson)
Date: Mon Aug 4 22:59:35 2003
----- Original Message -----
From: <wb8jkr@juno.com>
To: <g8gsq@qsl.net>; <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: 04 August 2003 16:55
Subject: Re: [Amps] re: EBS at soft or quiet moments

>   It is a grid driven amp. Isn't bias between the cathode and grid?
>  Works the same way, just has grid current flowing through it rather than
> cathode and grid current.
OK - if you're running grid current. You wouldn't normally do so with
speech, in which case I figured the capacitor wouldn't do much. If you're
keying, does the delayed turn on matter?

An alternative I've used is to leave the grid bias at cutoff and simply hit
the amp with more drive to get the preferred level of grid current. You
should get higher efficiency that way, so you can squeeze a bit more rf up
the spout - if you're confident you can do away with all the t/r switching
in the amplifier supplies.

Steve