[Amps] RMS-PEP & 2x8877

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] RMS-PEP & 2x8877
From: garyschafer@attbi.com (Gary Schafer)
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 15:46:00 -0500
As Bill says "there is no RMS power". RMS power is a common misconception and
it confuses things when you start to convert things. There is only average
power that is derived from RMS voltage and RMS current or RMS voltage and
resistance or RMS current and resistance.

RMS voltage squared divided by resistance gives average power.
RMS voltage squared times resistance gives average power.
Average power is 1/2 of peak power.        (.707 times .707 = .5)

If you try to figure things with RMS power you will get totally confused.

If you multiply peak voltage by peak current that gives you peak power. (this
is not PEP)

To find AVERAGE power you multiply peak voltage times .707. That gives RMS
voltage. Then multiply peak current by .707. That gives RMS current. Now RMS
voltage times RMS current gives AVERAGE power.
NOTE that .707 times .707 = .499 or rounded to .5.  So AVERAGE power is 1/2 of
peak power.

If you try to find RMS power by multiplying peak power by .707 you will get 70%
of peak power. Not 1/2 of peak power that is average power.

Peak envelope power is average power of 1 cycle of rf at modulation peaks. It
is the same as average power of CW. In other words 1000 watts of CW power is
also 1000 watts PEP.

Average power in the PEP formula is not to be confused with average modulation
power as we see on the watt meter when we talk into the mike.

73
Gary  K4FMX

To: <amps@contesting.com>