[Amps] Re: 8877 dissp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Re: 8877 dissp
From: wa1hco@adelphia.net (jeff millar)
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 20:33:35 -0500
Plate dissapation is a power limit for the piece of metal making up the
plate...Put DC on the Tube (no RF), make it heat up and measure the power
versus temp curves and decide what the limit should be.  4000V and 1 Amp
means 4000W going in to the tube plate.

Now lets consider the RF case.  Put the same 4000 V and 1 Amp (average), but
apply RF and get power out.  In class A, at 50% efficiency, power from the
power supply is still 4000W, but 2000W goes out the coax to the load.  By
conservation of energy,  the plate is now dissapating only 2000W.

In Class C with 75% efficiency, the same 4000V/1A power becomes 3000W output
and 1000W dissapation.

Plate dissapation is a tube oriented power limit, it's only indirectly
related to RF performance.  Overall RF performance is determined by many
limits.  Power (temperatures really), Voltage, Current, etc.

Transistors have the same characteristics.  Manufacturer's rated dissapation
is a function of the package thermal resistance...the real limit is junction
temperature.

Most of the time, the real design limits for an amplifier are not the
thermal performance.

jeff, wa1hco