[Amps] Alpha mania

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Alpha mania
From: 2 at vc.net (2)
Date: Mon Feb 3 12:51:36 2003
I conducted a telephone survey of computerized Alpha owners and found
that roughly 40% of owners had to return theirs for factory repair.
Strangely, all tubes that were damaged were replaced gratis -- even if
they were out of warranty.

>I have been watching all of this buzz over the computer controlled amplifier
>which seems to be controlling its owner.
>
>Seriously, though, having never been a commercial amp owner I am not well in
>touch what the market offers those of you who do buy amps. The impression I
>am getting about this situation is as follows. What am I missing?
>
>First, out here, and actually in many places in this country, the line
>voltage regularly jumps around by 10-15% for short and medium terms. Are you
>telling me that after this company charges you several killobux for this
>deluxe design wonder, it is going to groan, go to sleep or even worse
>because
>the line voltage varies as we all KNOW it will? Would it be asking too much
>of them to include some friendly internal compensations for 10-20%
>variations.

A $6 rheostat adjustment would have taken care of the heater V issue.

>Also, I can offer the following additional observation with some authority.
>For about an additional $10 (approx.) they could provide a full alphanumeric
>message display, which could sit there and constantly roll the stored fault
>codes in what is called "billboard mode". Again, greed wins out.

My take is that hubris was a factor.

cheerz, Eric.

>Eric von Valtier K8LV

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734, AG6K,
www.vcnet.com/measures.
end