[Amps] Capacitance Amount Formula

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Capacitance Amount Formula
From: philk5pc at tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Sun Feb 9 13:19:34 2003
When designing a HV PSU is there a reccomended formula for determing the total
amount of capacitance required in the filter..
I have not seen much discussion on this subject and now I am about to design and
build a 4kV supply @ 500mA and am just interested in what would be a good amount
of capacitance to use for this design..
I have studied many designs that are available but no-one seems to give the
required information as to why they used the amount they did in the design..

A good source for your PS design requirement is a copy of Bill Orr's
Handbook. A graph in the PS chapter shows the C requirement for
SSB/CW use, which is dependant on the RL (load resistance) of the
PS. The chart result assures the elimanation of resonant transients often
found in LC filter systems and provides adequate voltage regulation.

The chart only goes to 5000 ohms RL, but if your supply was delivering
4000 volts @ 1 amp on SSB/CW peaks, the recommended filter C would
be 40 mfd. A step-start circuit will be necessary to protect your transformer
and rectifier from the inrush charging current of the filter capacitor.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC

It is the soldier who salutes the flag,
serves under the flag
and who's coffin is draped by the flag,
who allows the protester to burn the flag.