[Amps] Why hasn't solid state replaced tubes?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Why hasn't solid state replaced tubes?
From: doug at nc.rr.com (Doug Hall)
Date: Tue Mar 4 14:56:27 2003
I've also found the comments on IMD interesting. A couple of months ago I
had the opportunity to measure the HF TX IMD on a TS-2000 for myself, and I
found the results to be in line with most of the other radios on the market
with 12V PAs. VHF performance is quite stinky, I'll grant you, but I
measured -29dB (below PEP) on HF as a worst case, and that was on 160m. The
other HF bands were -30dB or better. In a few cases, much better. This is
consistent with what the ARRL measured (OK, they measured -27dB on 160m).
Granted it's nowhere near as clean as a TS-830 or a radio with 28V finals,
and it's not as good as we'd like, but is it really any worse than the
current crop of HF rigs out there? I've seen it singled out several times
for poor IMD performance, and yet it's right in line with other current
offerings (FT-920, FT-1000MP, IC-746 Pro, Jupiter, Omni 6+, etc. etc.). On
HF anyway. VHF is another matter, but let's compare apples to apples.

I regret that I didn't measure IMD at reduced power levels - it just didn't
occur to me when I was set up to do the tests.

Can anything be done (by non-PA designers like me) to improve the IMD
performance of 12V PAs? Is there any benefit to bumping the supply voltage
to 14 or 14.5V? (No, I didn't think to try that while doing the measurements
either.)

73,
Doug, K4DSP