[Amps] Why hasn't solid state replaced tubes?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Why hasn't solid state replaced tubes?
From: garyschafer at attbi.com (Gary Schafer)
Date: Thu Mar 6 19:54:58 2003

Tom Rauch wrote:
>>Probably the simplest and most repeatable way to monitor inter mod is to
>>just switch your receiver to the opposite side band. Im products are
>>going to fall on the opposite side band as well as on the wanted side
>>band. On the opposite side band you don't have the wanted signal
>>components to interfere with hearing the IM products.
>

> IM products are not symmetrically dispersed Gary. Where they are USB or LSB
> depends on relative level (and I would guess phase, I need to think about
> that) of the original frequencies.
>
> 73 Tom

Hi Tom,

If IM products are generated at RF (after filters) I don't think that
there is a difference. Each signal should modulate the other equally. If
some of the products are being generated at lower levels in the
transmitter then I could see where there would be some difference. I
know that there are phase modulation products associated with an SSB
signal but I had never thought of it as having any effect on IM products.

73
Gary  K4FMX