[Amps] Mistakes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Mistakes
From: 2 at vc.net (rlm)
Date: Tue Mar 4 21:26:35 2003

>> So kvetch to the moderator.  This is like going to a boxing match and
>> complaining because people keep hitting each other.
>
>Since when did an amateur radio reflector become like a boxing match???!!!!

In early 1997, the Grate Parasite Debate was not going very well for the
Rauchian camp in the uncensored alt.radio-amateur.homebrew Newgroup since
they could not silence criticism of their guru, so they moved unannounced
to the AMPS mailing list.  Subsequently, I was informed by Carl, KM1H
that there were people talking me about on AMPS and that I might want to
read the goings on for myself.  I perused, I subscribed, I made comments,
and in less than 24-hours the "moderator"/censor telephoned me and said
that he had received a flood of complaints about me.  He said to back
off.  I did not and he jackbooted me outa here.  Subsequently, I
downloaded the 400+ AMPS address list, loaded it into into the Groups
section of the Claris E-mailer Address Book, and began posting direct to
the members around the censor.  The Rauchian camp was somewhat less than
enchanted with this workaround, so they went to my ISP and tried to get
me banned from the Internet.  This was not successful.  Eventually, the
censor resigned, his replacement restored me to the list, and I pulled
the plug on the workaround.
-  What goes on here is pretty obviously not really like a boxing match,
but it's not like a mutual admiration society either.  Sure, Tom and Rich
are not for the faint-hearted, but nobody has yet complained about dozing
off at the computer.
The good news is that in-between bombing runs, from time-to-time, some
fairly interesting amplifier issues seem to get discussed.

cheerz, David.

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734, AG6K,
www.vcnet.com/measures.
end