[Amps] Why hasn't solid state replaced tubes?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Why hasn't solid state replaced tubes?
From: doug at nc.rr.com (Doug Hall)
Date: Wed Mar 5 10:07:31 2003
> My IC706 mobile puts out up to 180w pulse depending on supply
> voltage, even
> when cranked down to 10 watts. My FT1000D will overshoot also if I don't
> keep the drive control down.

I've actually found the overshoot problem to be worse when my rigs are
operated at lower power levels. Here is what I measured using a 2Gs/sec
digital scope on 3.5 MHz:

my Icom IC-706Mk2G, one of the first Mk2G production units:

pwr     spike   overshoot
===     =====   =========
100w    100w        0%
 75w     91w       21%
 50w     73w       46%
 25w     52w      108%
 10w     26w      160%

Run at 13.8VDC into a 50 ohm load.

However, last year we bought another Mk2G here at work to do some testing
with. For grins I measured it and found it to have significantly more
overshoot - nearly 120w when set for 100w out, and the other power levels
had more overshoot as well. So your mileage may vary. 180w is awful.

73,
Doug, K4DSP