[Amps] Why hasn't solid state replaced tubes?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Why hasn't solid state replaced tubes?
From: garyschafer at attbi.com (Gary Schafer)
Date: Wed Mar 5 15:26:34 2003

Gary Schafer wrote:

> Remember that 3rd order products are generated from the mixing of the
> frequencies within the audio pass band of the rig. So the distortion
> (3rd  order products) will be close in frequency to the wanted signal.
> 2A + B + C. So 1kc x 2 + 1.5kc = 3.5kc etc. The 3.5 kc product falls
> just outside the wanted pass band of the signal. That equals adjacent
> channel splatter.

CORRECTION: (I should be awake when writing).
The above would be true if IM happened in the audio section but not if
in the RF section.

That should be 2A -B = C. The 2A + B products fall well outside the pass
band of the tank coil of the amp. Only the 2A -B products fall close to
the original signal.

As it works out the 3rd order products are spaced from each of the
original frequencies by the same amount as the spacing between the two
original signals (tones). 5th order products are two times the original
frequency spacing away from the original tones.

73
Gary  K4FMX