[Amps] RE: Amps Digest, Vol 3, Issue 59

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] RE: Amps Digest, Vol 3, Issue 59
From: 2 at vc.net (rlm)
Date: Sat Mar 15 13:47:09 2003

>         The whole point is legal operations. Very few ham or for that
>matter NO CB operator needs to be concerned with
>filament currents over 30Amps.  You don't need more than 30 Amps filament
>current in an amplifier that will
>produce the legal limit. However, a few hams do use larger tubes and
>operate them well below specs and run the
>legal limit.

** They solemnly profess such but when there's a pileup, all bets are
off.  I used to run a tube with a 75A filament at c. 1200w out in Class A
(steady I-anode) by turning down the mic gain.  However, when jammers
were present, I turned up the wick.

>Some years ago the legal limit for most modes was half what
>it is today and hams ran used 4-1000 tubes. that had reduced emissions to make
> legal limit amplifiers.

**    The FCC's old 1000w-DC rule was delightsome cannon fodder for
stand-up comics who make fun of guvamint bureaucrats. The 10m ban on Ham
amps was even better for those who know what happened to the FCC guy who
was seemingly behind it - but I've already been there.

>         A CBer has no use for a filament that draws more than 30 amps in
>an amplifier because he can't legally own
>an amplifier much less use it.  Frankly, I mostly find them to be no more
>than a minor nuisance on this list.

**  Agreed.  However, none of the CBers who talk to me on the phone
participate in AMPS, although they do read it.

>         You could make it a list where people must meet certain
>qualifications to participate. But, it would be a real problem for those
>that screen them. Legal users of amplifiers are:
>
>Hams
>Broadcast transmitter operators and technicians  ( you really don't need a
>license to do this anymore)
>Persons working in legitimate research facilities.  ( plasma generators,
>particle accelerators, NMR, mass spectrometry ......)
>Technicians that work with certain medical equipment (MRI, various cancer
>treatment devices)
>And I am sure there are others.
>
>But what really gets me is all the ads on ham trader list (QRZ list server
>and others) that obviously are selling CB linear amplifers and
>those  posting are obviously not a hams.
>
>And the other thing that I find really objectionable are hams that assist
>CBers build amplifiers,

**  touch?.  However, I also talk to licensed amateurs who build tetrodes
with handles amplifiers.

>build them for CBers , or them selves operate out
>of band as illegal radio operators ("freebanders").
>
>73
>Bill wa4lav
>

>At 02:51 AM 3/15/2003 -0800, rlm wrote:
>>Good point, Art.  Few Hams have experience with tubes that draw over
>>30A of filament current.  My guess is that there are currently more CB
>>amp builders who have experience in this area than Hams.

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734, AG6K,
www.vcnet.com/measures.
end