[Amps] Need a Capacitor- help

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Need a Capacitor- help
From: stevek at jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Mon Mar 17 11:15:05 2003
Hi Jeffrey,

I cannot imagine why you'd need a high voltage capacitor in the "loading"
position of an output network for a 100W amplifier.  Presumably, in that
position, the capacitor is across a 50 Ohm load, which means at 100W the
voltage would never exceed about 100Vpk under normal conditions -- maybe
141Vpk with a 2:1 VSWR assuming the Z is 100 Ohms.

I've had good luck with NPO chips from ATC (American Technical Ceramics),
and the small values are not expensive; however, I've also had good luck in
your specific application using Unelco (et al) J602 miniature mica chip
caps.  RF Parts sells these in small quantities for $1.40/ea per their
latest catalog (you might try 27pf, 30 pf, 32 pf, etc...if you buy more than
10 pcs, the unit price comes down to $1.25/ea.)

Last time I checked SRF on a 27pF J602 miniature mica chip it was above 400
MHz.

WB2WIK/6

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure with no loss of
enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill