[Amps] 813 No parasitics

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 813 No parasitics
From: 2 at vc.net (rlm)
Date: Tue Mar 18 08:27:49 2003

>> Ok, you asked Skip; but let me suggest or better saying, ask, could be
>> the 30 MHz highest frequency for full ratings?, or maybe at lower
>> ratings you could have parasitics also?.
>
>As a general rule the most difficult to stabilize tubes are tubes with low
>upper frequency limits. The grid and anode leads inside such tubes are
>usually thin and long.

The 811A & 572B being examples.  On the other hand, G-G triodes with a
low-L grid that have substantial VHF gain can also become squirrely in HF
amplifiers.  The 3cx1500A7, 3cx3000A7 and the 3cx6000A7 are examples,
This week, I heard about a 3cx6000A7 amplifier project that was being
driven directly by a FT-1000D.  The amplifier made a bang.  At the same
instant, the finals shorted in the 1000D.  The lesson: a G-G tuned input
circuit not only acts as a low-pass filter to keep VHF harmonics out of
the amplifier,  it acts to keep VHF energy from the amplifier from
travelling back into the radio and causing a problem.
--   Amplifier engineers would do well to pay attention when the
technical specification sheets say "Maximum Ratings for Amplifier and
Oscillator Service".

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734, AG6K,
www.vcnet.com/measures.
end