[Amps] QRO Balun?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] QRO Balun?
From: RFlabnotes at aol.com (RFlabnotes@aol.com)
Date: Tue Apr 15 12:58:07 2003
I have read the comments on the use of an RF transformer to step up the
output impedance of the PINET simply for the purpose of trying to get away
with an undersized loading capacitor. This sounds like a bad idea to me, for
the following reason.

This imposes a requirement to design and build a transformer capable of
handling 1.5KW over a decade+ of frequency, with low losses. It can be done,
but just barely and at a high cost. I would appreciate some hard facts from
someone (preferably an owner of one of these amps) from which I could make my
own calculations of the potential insertion losses.  What I need to know is
the core dimensions: ODxIDxThickness. I can make educated guesses about
everything else. (I don't even need to know the material type - there are
only 2 or 3 of them on the planet that are even remotely feasible, so I will
just assume the 'best' of them is used.)

Basically, I would like to see if this is really a wise thing to do or not. I
certainly would not trade off even 1 db in power loss for the luxury of using
a mickey-mouse output C.

73
Eric von Valtier K8LV