[Amps] QRO Balun?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] QRO Balun?
From: doug at nc.rr.com (Doug Hall)
Date: Tue Apr 15 16:22:49 2003
Eric wrote:

> I may attempt to try some measurements on one, and I
> will let you
> know whether or not it will handle 1.5kW into a 500 or 1000 ohm
> load as per
> the mfrs. specs.
>
>        Meanwhile, I am still hoping someone will get me a set of
> dimensions
> for the actual core in question, so I can do my own arithmetic.
> 73
> Eric K8LV

I may be oversimplifying here, but maybe it's unnecessary to go to all this
trouble. The figure mentioned was 1 dB of loss at 1500W, which amounts to
around 300W by my calculations.

1. Can the balun in this amp dissipate 300W?
2. Do QRO baluns have a history of burning up?

These are not rhetorical questions, and I honestly don't know the answer to
either question. But knowing the answers to these questions might eliminate
the need to dig a lot deeper.
73,
Doug, K4DSP