[Amps] coating conductors with sealers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] coating conductors with sealers
From: nospam4me at juno.com (skipp isaham)
Date: Wed May 21 09:14:57 2003
Hi Rich,
-
I'm always afraid to coat conductors in RF applications I
spent a lot of time building a 6 meter antenna, of
which I coated with clear polyurethane after completion
and testing.
The coating had some poor electrical properties
which made the antenna unusable until I removed
most of it with solvent (not an easy task).  A lot of
wasted time.
-
Would we call said properties, the coatings D factor..?
-
I guess the only way I'd seal anything would be to
first do the homework and find coatings which are
known to be "passive" to RF, at least through the
VHF Low region in the example amplifier.
-
One might ask some of the PCB mfgrs what
sealer they use as I often see coated boards in
high end equipment.  Thanks for your idea, it
might be worth tossing out a list of known good
coatings by brand/type/name from amps members.
-
cheers
skipp
-