[Amps] longevity of oxide cathode tube

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] longevity of oxide cathode tube
From: sm0aom at telia.com (Karl-Arne Markström)
Date: Wed Jun 25 09:25:17 2003
Interesting,
this description fits in on the 4CX350AC, which is marketed by Svetlana and
others
as a lower temperature cathode and consequently longer life version of the
4CX350A.

I have encountered the 4CX250BC version of the 4CX250B, which should have
similar
cathode properties. As far as I recall, the 4CX250BC was tried as one possible
cure for the
tube life problems in the SRT ST1610 transmitters, but only with moderate
success.

The 4CX350AC was considered for our Collins 208U-10's, but the solid-state
driver chain
modifications were done instead.

It appears that tube manufacturer application engineers caution you against
running oxide cathodes both undervoltage
and overvoltage, overvoltage seems also to speed up the malignant type of grid
contamination that causes grid emission and thermal
runaway besides long term loss of emission,
but I cannot recall seeing any firm statements on the ill effects on
undervoltage, except low initial emission.

In the "old days" of UHF Class C amplifiers it was common to derate the oxide
cathode filament voltage to compensate
for RF losses and electron back-bombardment of the cathode and a consequent
increase in surface temperature.

The Philips data sheet for the QEL2/275 (= 4CX250B) prescribed a reduction to
5,5 V if the tube was driven to
full class C ratings at 500 MHz, as an amplifier (presumably CCS ratings), but
not as a frequency multiplier.

Curiously enough, I have neither seen any references to filament voltage
reduction in class A or AB services,
nor to how to properly handle intermittent UHF class C operation.
(Presumably, the cathode would be underheated in the transmission pauses, and
then come up to heat
when RF drive is applied by some sort of regenerative action)

I am no expert of the oxide cathode chemistry, and it would be interesting to
hear from
anyone that can go deeper into the fine print of the cathode lifetime vs.
filament voltage business.

73/

Karl-Arne Markstrom
SM0AOM