[Amps] Revisited: Power Combiners, cheap amps.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Revisited: Power Combiners, cheap amps.
From: brianmo at yahoo.com (Brian Moran)
Date: Fri Jul 11 09:00:21 2003
I perused the ~19 meg archive for "power combiners" --
from my read, the suggestions were mixed for trying to
sum the outputs of two HF amps. Has anyone tried the
following?:

Take two relatively-inexpensive amplifiers, say,
heathkit sb-220's. Make sure that they both work
reasonably well. With the hybrid combiner available
from CCI (make sure to use those resistors in case of
failure of one amp!), combine their outputs.

Again, WITHOUT having done this, it seems to me that:

With SB-220's at about $0.57 a watt (700 watts) or so
OUT (CW), $~400 recent prices used (conservatively))
they are seemingly inexpensive...

Tuning would have to be done individually, then the
amps switched into the network.

Has anyone tried this?
Brian, N9ADG