[Amps] RE: Lubircation of Roller Inductors

Subject: [Amps] RE: Lubircation of Roller Inductors
From: "Paul Marbourg" <zborg@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 22:43:29 -0700
I would like to thank all the kind people who responded to my question
regarding the best lubricant for sliding contacts in an old EF Johnson
edge-wound roller inductor.  Molybdenum disulfide is the obvious winner here.
Applied as a slurry solution in a very light film application seems to be the
best choice.  Avoiding mineral or silicone oil carriers allows for a
dry-lubricating molecular film which does not attract dust.  Unlike graphite,
which tends to be displaced by mechanical shear forces, molybdenum disulfide
bonds to the metal substrate and has innate metal-like conductivity.  I found
the web site http://metalshopper.websitecandy.com/category.asp?category=19 Rose
Mill Company and their line of Bemol Lubricants.  They can provide bulk/small
quantities of Molybdenum Disulfide in various grades and particle sizes.

Using a metal-bearing grease type lubricant does not seem like a good choice
here.  Aside from potential hydrocarbon or silicone oil contamination of
dielectric surfaces (aka: vacuum variable insulators), the metal in the
lubricant substrate is not as efficient in conducting RF as an innately
conducting substance like molybdenum disulfide.

Now if I could just make my amp do something truly useful like mow my

Thanks again for the help.
73, Paul WN7T