[Amps] grease for tuning sliding contacts

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] grease for tuning sliding contacts
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:21:07 -0600
Moly-disulphide lube:

Every big CPI/Eimac tube(100kw and up) used to come shipped with a tube of Fel Pro C100 molydinum sulphide paste, used on the copper anode where the water fittings screwed in. (sorry for the spelling of Mo). It is an antisieze compound, which is not supposed to dry out even at high temperature. I have used it for other applications, such as in automotive work, soldering tip threads, but never in amplifiers for wiping contacts. It would make a real mess. I looked on google and got this website which distributes the stuff, now called heavy duty anti-seize.
http://www.newmantools.com/felpro.htm

There appears to be some other interesting materials here, including their graphite 50 Mil spec conductive antisieze, and several nuclear grade compounds, one with copper in it.

Has anyone tried any of these? The C100 is quite nasty, in that it really stains your fingers. I used it just recently on the screw theads of a vacuum variable cap that was tight, in my Continental 314R1 broadcast TX rebuild/conversion. After using C100, the cap is smooth, and the stuff won't dry out with heat.

nice to hear some practical info being tossed around here again.

73
john
K5PRO