Re: [Amps] HB Amp Parts, Values & Sources?

To: "Mike, K8LH" <k8lh@kramerairtool.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HB Amp Parts, Values & Sources?
From: "George & Marijke Guerin" <gmguerin@voyager.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:20:02 -0400
Hi Mike, et. al:

The amplifier you are describing is similar in power and voltage to the
SB-200, but using different type of triodes.

#3  I would go to RF Parts for the plate choke:  about $24.00 for a choke
rated up to 4KV at 1+ amps.  It is the one Ameritron uses in their AL1200 +
AL1500 amps.  Mine is noted to have a resonance only at 12 MHz, but also has
a resonance at 16 MHz.  No problem, as the resonance is sharp enough to not
bother 14 or 18 MHz.

#1    I assume you mean plate coupling capacitor.  Usually about 2000 pfd
does the job down to 160, although Dentron used only 1000 pfd in the MLA2500
amplifiers.  I think you have choices, and since you will have only about
2KV on the tubes, a pair of 1000 pfd doorknob capacitors at 5KV will do.
Alternately you can use maybe 4 disc ceramics, 500 pfd at 6 KV in parallel.
These are also in the R F Parts catalog.  The disc ceramics are about $2
each and the door knobs are about $15 each.  If you look at the new Ten Tec
Titan III amplifier web site you will see a circuit board with disc ceramic
capacitors in parallel for coupling the RF from the plates to the plate tank
circuit, so TenTec has gone the disc ceramic route to keep price down.  R F
Parts also shows an Erie ceramic door knob: 1900 pf at 15KV for about $16.
if you want to avoid paralleling components.  Maybe that is the best choice.

#2    For plate choke bypass capacitor use a couple of the 1000 pf at 6 KV
or 1500 pf at 3800 volts - about $2.00 each in the R F Parts catalog.  At
160 meters, if you have too much grid current at proper resonance, add
another disc ceramic or two.

I hope this helps.    73,    George    K8GG