[Amps] Paralleling diodes?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Paralleling diodes?
From: "SM0EJR 'Joe'" <crabspider@telia.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:45:39 +0000
Hi!

I'm constructing a High Voltage PSU using a doubling-circuit.
But analyzing the circuit tells me that the current for the diodes will be
rather high...

I have lots of 500V/5 A diodes that I would like to use. Now comes the
question....
Can I parallel them?????

I would like to use 6 Diodes in 2 "legs" (in parallel) making up one beefy
diode.

Here follows a very crude schematic:

     Resistor -->Diode--->Diode  etc. -->Diode ----\
    \Resistor -->Diode--->Diode  etc. -->Diode ----/

Is an equalizing Series Resistor for each diode-leg useful or just an "old
truth"?

73's
/Joe

Life is too short for QRP -- Speak softly, and run a BIG amp!