Re: [Amps] Tufnol rod

To: Neil Carr <carr.n@runshaw.ac.uk>, "'amps@contesting.com'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tufnol rod
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@qsl.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:01:52 +0100
On Sunday 14 September 2003 07:07, Neil Carr wrote:
> I have acquired various lengths and diameters from ¼" to 1" Tufnol rod. I
> plan on using it to wind my anode choke and at HV stand-off points.
>
> Although I see a number of articles (here in Europe) suggesting PTFE or
> Tufnol maybe used in the applications mentioned, I rarely see anyone using
> Tufnol.
Tufnol is a trade mark, don't know whose.

Generically it appears to be woven fabric encased in some sort of resin. There
appear to be a number of grades, some with defined fabric and epoxy resin,
some with undefined fabric and phenolic resin (close to Paxolin I imagine).
Certainly the latter shouldn't be used anywhere near rf or high voltage -
it's hygroscopic and I've seen several instances of fires where it's gone
conductive.

Steve