[Amps] Tufnol rod

To: "'amps@contesting.com'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Tufnol rod
From: Neil Carr <carr.n@runshaw.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 07:07:08 +0100
I have acquired various lengths and diameters from ¼" to 1" Tufnol rod. I
plan on using it to wind my anode choke and at HV stand-off points.

Although I see a number of articles (here in Europe) suggesting PTFE or
Tufnol maybe used in the applications mentioned, I rarely see anyone using
Tufnol.

In order to "get wise" on the pros & cons of both materials I did a web
search and found VERY little information on Tufnol rod in general. I asked a
friend in the USA who builds amps and he said he had never heard of the
stuff.

My question is:

(1)     Is Tufnol a European "thing"?

(2)     Is one "better" than the other?

I also heard  one way to test coil former material is to check its heating
properties by placing it in a microwave oven with a cup of water (Not in the
water, this just acts as a dummy load (Food) to protect the oven). If it
stays cold then it has very little or no loss effects at RF, the web page
was for trap making ides.

Not too sure how one would use this to simulate conditions in an amp
???????, but I put my 800w oven on for 2 mins, the cup was boiling. The ¼
and ½ rods were still cold but the 1" rod could not be handled for a good
couple of mins, although there was no burning etc. I don't have any PTFE rod
for comparison right now.

Comments/advice appreciated.

Neil G0JHC

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s),
it may contain information that is confidential and/or legally privileged,
access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised.  If you are not the
intended recipient of this email please inform the sender immediately
and delete this email from your system.

Any opinions and views expressed in this email may be personal and do not
necessarily represent the opinions, views or policies of Runshaw College,
its employees or students.