Re: [Amps] TS430 and the 91b

To: "Robert Thain" <g0hgw@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] TS430 and the 91b
From: "Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL" <kgrimm@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:44:04 -0400
> Hi,
> Variable power TS430
> I would like to use my amp with my TS430. However it
> only requires 50Ws input. There is no control on the
> 430 to vary the power.
> I understand that something can be done with the
> external ALC and an external 9V source.
> Can you help please.
> How do you connect your 430 to your amp ?
> Thanks
> Robert
> G0HGW@yahoo.com
> PS I am suprised that this question has not already
> been asked, I have checked the archives and found nothing.

Several years ago, I was faced with the same problem using a Collins
KWM-380 to drive a tetrode that took very little drive.  Since the
KWM-380 put out 100W, I needed to provide "artificial" ALC voltage to
reduce the output.  I doubt that you will need 9 volts, I would start
out with a lower voltage and a variable resistor to adjust the negative
voltage to the ALC input on the 430.  You might like to refer to the
diagram that you will find on BAMA.  http://bama.sbc.edu/collins.htm
Just click on the link to KWM-380 pwr control.  I used size N cells, but
of course that isn't critical.  You are drawing a very small amount of
current and the batteries will last almost their normal shelf life.
Hope this helps.
73,
Ken K4XL
k4xl@arrl.net
*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu or
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr

---