Fw: [Amps] Conditioning Spare Tubes After Storage

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Fw: [Amps] Conditioning Spare Tubes After Storage
From: skipp isaham <nospam4me@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 09:37:19 -0700
Hi Jeff,
-
I've received some broadcast transmitter tubes with
recommended warm up times of 10 plus min, some
as high as 30 minutes min.
-
A fellow broadcaster (now an SK) never paid
much attention to the pre power warm up time
especially the first install.
-
He called me over one night to source a
breaker trip problem which was traced back
to the tube, which was not allowed the
recommended pre start filament idle time.
-
After 30 min, I applied power and the everything
worked as expected, the transmitter was back
on the air.
The program director went back to defcon
level 3 spazz level (some of you broadcasters
can appreciate that remark).
-
>From memory, Econco was our rebuilt tube
supplier of choice (great people), the pentode
with handles was one of the more fussy
animals (5cx1500a) and of course I was
working on the first Sparta 602/680 off the
assembly line.
-
20 to 30 min of warm up time is relatively
cheap. I believe the recommended warm up
time was mentioned in the Econco paper
work, although I do it as a rule of thumb.
-
Interested parties could call Econco
in Woodland, CA if they wanted more
detailed information.