[Amps] Re: 4CX250B power output

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Re: 4CX250B power output
From: Jan Erik Holm <sm2ekm@telia.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:34:10 +0100
Indeed, agree 100%. However just listen on the bands, there
are lots and lots of very very wide signals out there and
I frankly don´t know how to solve the problem.
Talking about 4CX250´s. There are this well known German
contester that used to operate single band 20m, he uses
4 x 4CX250B´s and he is very very wide. I have talked to
him a number of times and also once did visit him and we
did discuss the matter, 5 years has gone by and he hasn´t
done a thing, he still comes on with that thing and tears
up 30 - 40 kHz of the band, what to do? However he´s not alone.

73 Jim SM2EKM

John Nelson wrote:

As with hi-fi audio amplifiers, it is entirely meaningless to discuss the
power output of an RF linear amplifier without also stating the distortion
level associated with that power. I thought we'd established this a long
time ago. With 2kV on the plate, a single 4CX250B could certainly be made to
generate a good 450W of HF output. However, the IMD would be frightful and
your neighbours less than impressed with your handiwork. As G3SEK put it
some years ago, "how much of OUR band is taken up by YOUR signal"?

73 John
GW4FRX