Re: [Amps] FL-2100 Problems

To: oz1pif@get2net.dk, WD8JJA@arrl.net, info@handwelectronics.com,amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] FL-2100 Problems
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:22:59 -0800
Sometime back, I had a problem with an FL 2100, I dont know the series, but it really opened a can of worms (problems of design) to the FL 2100. My first symptoms were a cracked 2 watt carbon series resistor, I think putting bias to the grids. Replacing this, I found that the one 572b plate became Red hot very quickly, even in idle, and there was high Ip. Removal and inspection of the tube revealed a roughly 3/8" hole in the grid wires, with each wire crossing the hole burned back, with a ball of melted grid wire hanging at the tip of each grid wire. (Look at your own tubes by looking down/up the axis of the tube..you can see quite a ways up the grid structure that is beneath the plate) No doubt where all the cathode current was pouring through, heating the plate. Further research revealed a Svetlana Mod by George Badger W6TC, that doubled the standby DC bias to the grid, with information that the original bias was only marginally cutting the tube off in idle. Newer tubes apparently had more gain, and the increased bias was a fix. Additional testimonials to big bangs suggested further instability problems with that amp....

73, de Pat AA6EG