Re: [Amps] Benefits of 3-phase power?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Benefits of 3-phase power?
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 15:07:18 +0100
Gentlemen,

I can second your observation that 3-phase power feed is superior to
single-phase.

When power levels much more than 1 kVA input are used,
it is possible to observe poor AC regulation with keying even on European
standard 230V outlets.

If constant power regulated switch-mode power supplies, such as in the Collins
HF-8023/32, are used,
the lowered input voltage will be compensated by a higher line current, making
the situation worse.

There is a marked difference in AC line regulation when comparing transmitters
with the same output power
using 3-phase and 1-phase connections. My own Standard Radio SSA1000 1 kW+
transmitter for example,
using a 3-phase 230/400 V AC feed, does not blink any lights in the house
even when transmitting full power into a mismatch.

It appears that the standard European practice to provide 3-phase 230/400 V
power,
usually fused at 20A or 25A per phase,even to small dwellings
is a blessing for the QRO enthusiast.

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM